Thursday, May 1, 2008

Deer Hunt 2003

I am so excited.... I have my own blog spot! I think the name of my blog is very dumb, but whatever. I am just glad that my sexy wife set it up for me.





OK, I am going to spend time talking about Cole and my hunting trips. I am doing this because I want Cole to help me write the stories. Cole and I have hunted together for 6 years. The two pictures below are the year 2003. I can't find any pictures of the previous year, but I will soon.



This is what I had to deal with for 12 hours each day we hunted. Cole was remarkably patient for a 4 year old, I wasn't remarkably patient for a 33 year old dad. I remember the exact moment that I took this picture because I shot at a deer about 30 seconds after this picture was taken. It was late in the afternoon as you can tell by the picture. Right after I snapped this picture I was looking at Cole and saw 2 deer running outside his window. I jumped out of the truck with my rifle and Cole was freaking out asking me "where's the deer". I pointed and told him that they were both bucks, but they were a long ways away and it was almost dark. I knew they were both big but I didn't think I could hit either one of them. I decided to shot anyway just for the excitement. I had never shot at a deer when Cole was with me. It was just like I thought he would be. He was screaming "did you hit it dad, did you hit it dad". I knew that I didn't hit it because I could still see them both running away in my scope. I told Cole that I wasn't sure if I had hit one or not. We went over to where we had seen the deer and starting looking together. When we got to the place the deer were, I was surprised because it was almost 600 yards away. I thought when I shot that they were about 300 yards, which means the deer where bigger than I thought. While Cole and I were looking around for a deer that I knew wasn't there I was thinking to myself that I should have keep shooting earlier. We searched until dark and then searched some more with flashlights. I was having so much fun holding Cole's hand and looking that I didn't want to ever stop. He was so excited. Just thinking about makes me smile ear to ear, because that night was one of my best 10 nights ever.

Cole and I hunt the same way and in the place every year. We hunt on 12,000 acres by Fish lake that is private. The hunt is from late August to early November, so we have a lot of time together. We are usually the only ones hunting on the property. We ride around in the truck or on the 4 wheeler and road hunt. I am a very paranoid Dad and I am afraid of losing Cole in the mountains, so we never get far enough from the truck or 4 wheeler that we are not able to see it. We stay at the nicest Hotel Richfield UT, I am laughing because its a Days Inn. It has a nice restaurant and Cole orders crab legs each night. Last year I told him that he couldn't order anything that didn't have a price other than Market Price. I explained that was what people ordered when they are celebrating something. He then asked me if he could order crab if we get a deer to celebrate and I agreed.





The picture above is where Cole and I would sit in the afternoon. I am not going to go into the way I ended up with the deer below. Cole wasn't with me so it didn't matter. This is the second year that Cole and I hunted together. This is the second year hunting and the second time I shot a deer when Cole wasn't with me.






This deer wasn't mounted and if anyone would like to come over and touch the antlers you call call me for an appointment ;-) By the way look at me in the above picture, I am so skinny and good looking. Those of you that know what I look like today keep this in mind. This is what happens to a body that is neglected for 5 years. Ooh that just gave me an idea for my next blog. I am going to write about my exercising schedule.

6 comments:

Julie Jones said...

Casey - what a great dad you are! And that picture with Cole almost looks like the Casey I went to high school with... almost... okay it's not even close. HA HA
I hope it's okay to add you to my blog, I wouldn't want to miss any of you adventures!

Casey Rasmussen said...

Julie

You are my new best friend. I decided that the first person that left a response was going to be my bestest buddie for a week. I am laughing... thanks for being the first person to read my blog.

Kimberly said...

Casey,
I am putting you on my list of links so that I can be a regular "comin down the track" reader. This is great!

TroskeFamily said...

Casey, I can't wait to show Ty your post when he gets home from school! I love the name of the blog, Michelle is so sweet. After all she could have named the blog "Do you really have to chew your food like that?" Let's get skinny together. Then instead of being the fattest sister I could be the sexiest. Your a wonderful big brother! Love you! Genevieve

Comin Down The Track said...

Thanks for being an awesone dad.
Your the bast dad ever!!!!!!



Cole

rasmussenfamily said...

Case - I can not wait for you to share your workout routine! Nothing tastes as good as thin feels! - That is my motto! Come and workout with me - I would love it!

I love the picutres - keep them coming! Love you! Raquel